oEtG Forum

Little but big change for EtG community acceptance of openEtG

Chapuz · 4 · 3744

Chapuz

One of the things that EtG players reject oEtG for is because "unnecessary balance changes". What they really see when they say that is the Shard bonuses taken out with the Marks.

I propose a change for all shards, giving bonuses with the marks, just as EtG shards do.
After that, I plan to do a "openEtG community acceptance" thread in the Council section for a mature talk with the solid argument of the amount of EtG veterans in the farewell section in the last 6 months despite having all the events ongoing and their plans to mantain the community active.

So, to take away that argument of "duh unnecessary changes" I propose:
SoG: Heal 5 if mark is  :life
SoBr: Draw 3 cards if your mark is  :fire
SoD: Heal 24 if your mark is  :light
SoFr: Change 20% evade for 25/30 if your mark is  :air
SoR: Can activate skill twice if mark is  :time (just for the turn the SoR is played)
SoV: reduce 4 instead of 3 if your mark is  :darkness

serprex

• Global Moderator
At least be consistent: :entropy :death :earth :gravity :water :aether

Balance arguments for such buffs would need to be made. Saying "unnecessary balance changes" implies that people think shards aren't OP in original, which from what I've found is not true. I haven't seen complaints that shards are under powered here (though SoBr has been rather non existent. I'd say that's more a case of nerf cootees & most deck builders in the oetg scene disliking SoBr in original too. Also may be a bit obsolete for draw power given inno)

If people with issues are making it on the terms of the fact that I have different balance opinions than Zanz, then yes, that's true. I am not Zanz. It may be better if they attempt to branch EtG as I would've preferred: community driven from the start. That's what majofa & I briefly talked about. Basically take the engine from oetg or oetg-v, then develop it with Council in charge more

The issue is that in that case council better find themselves a programmer to do their bidding

Sort of leaning towards this being an alright mechanic because Metamorphosis synergy, but in reality it's just a poor mechanic unless you think mixing shards is OP

As an aside, I don't particularly care about acceptance from elementscommunity as an entity. The only person whose opinion I'd really care about is Zanz's
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 02:13:07 am by serprex »

Chapuz

Yet it would be so good if an interesting % of etg community moves to oetg just because it's officially accepted

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
It is also worth noting that shards current incarnations have been integrated into the balance of oetgs meta at present. from what I can see they seem much more balanced here than in vanilla. Modoing them like you suggest will need several  rounds of balance testing. .. if we force them to be like in vanilla then all other cards may need adjusting to maintain balance.
at this point oetg really is a much different beast than vanilla etg. Trying to bend it back to conform to vanilla just doesn't seem like a good or tractable  idea now.