oEtG Forum

In-game Tutorial

Chapuz · 1 · 2447

Chapuz

We all know an in-game tutorial must be made, so this is the place to discuss the ideas.This are my first quick thoughts (after talking with people in the chat)

1- How a player in a new account accesses to the tutorial
In the elements selection screen, there will be a new checkbox with 2 options:
  • Start with a Tutorial
  • I already know this game
The default option will be the first one, of course, so a player in a new account (or just wiped account) will only avoid the tutorial if he wants to.

2- General terms: What the tutorial must include
The tutorial must introduce the player to the different aspects of the game, one by one.
After the tutorial is finished, the player must be introduced to all the game has, this being:
  • The basics of fighting a battle (hand, quanta, permaments, spells, creatures, passive and active abilities)
  • Tip box
  • Deck editor: change your mark, add and remove cards, save decks in deck slots
  • Shops (shop, bazaar, upgrade)
  • Quests (Colosseum and Map quests)
  • Arena: Post an Arena deck and play against one
  • Free card of the day
  • Trade a card with a player
  • Play PvP

3- The order the player is introduced to the game features
This is the order I propose the player should be introduced to the game.
  • Show him a battle! First of all l let player have a seeded battle against a Commoner-like opponent, probably with the Deck 2 (so he sees multiple quanta in the same game). This game will be popping up messages signaling the different parts of the board and stuff while they happen, like the Mulligan and End Turn buttons, the hand, quanta, health bar when the first creature attacks, a creature with some status to read, a creature with an active ability, etc. The details of this tutorial battle can be discussed below.
  • Rewards screen. Put a text explaining what he sees, that the game currency is Gold, the bonuses. Probably the won prize can include the free packs every account start with, so the player says "oh I won packs of something!". After the player clicks on the Exit button, it will be the first time he sees the main menu.
  • Tip Box. I had the idea of making the tip box only show the most basic tips until the player finishes the tutorial. I can propose this ones if there is positive feedback on this. Now that the player actually played a game, he will be able to understand part of what it says.
  • Shop: Get the free packs.
  • Deck Editor: Edit a deck and probably make a new deck in slot 4
  • Bazaar: Buy 7 copies of one card
  • Upgrade: Upgrade the card you have 7 copies of
  • ... let the player digest everything he just learned, let him play a bit somehow without throwing the next mission in his face...
  • Arena
  • Trade and PvP
  • The rest

4- How the player will actually SEE what Mr. Tutorial wants to show him
The way I like the tutorials interact with the players is by pop up windows, but this is the time I get some feedback before going into this details.
The option I like the most is:
Tutorial battle with pop ups (EtG style).
When the player exits the battle, he sees a pop up window with a label and a HUGE arrow pointing to the Quest menu, saying that there's where he starts his journey through the game features. The quests will be guiding the player through the menu stuff. Probably the first and basic tutorial quests are the ones to be shown with arrows pointing where to click.
Shop quest: The player enters the shop and he sees another pop up with useful text and arrows pointing to the packs and element icons (suggest them to select the element they chose?). After he buys the free packs and clicks on the exit button to go to the main menu, an arrow pointing to the Quest button (probably now glowing?) will be shown, with another pop up saying that he finished a quest and should collect his rewards.

To be continued after feedback...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:31:39 pm by Chapuz »