oEtG Forum

Menu Redesign

Chapuz · 1 · 2514

Chapuz

The moment a new player logs in, what they see is a sea of buttons that can be pretty unintuitive to navigate in (even if it had a tutorial).
This is the place where I throw my ideas about how to redesign the menus. A new menu system will make the game more organized, it will make easier to add new features in the future and newer players would need less an introduction tutorial for every detail they see.

The key of the redesign is easy: Separate the main menu in submenus. I sketched 2 ways to do it: by tabs (my favourite one) and by big buttons to submenus. Spex liked the tab system so I'm going to expand my ideas of it.
Do you know Battlecry form Kongregate? If you don't, have a look at it. Just half an hour. It has a simple and useful tab system that let you see a lot of information in an organized manner, and also a neat and beautiful way of displaying the tabs and saving armies (decks in oetg)

So the main menu is divided in tabs. Each tab can be considered a "sub-menu" of a particular feature or group of features of the game.
To make the player feel comfy, psychologists say that the amount of tabs in a manu like this should be between 5 and 7

What needs to be defined first is the concept. Only after this is defined comes the pixel perfect.
The sketch I was brewing has the following tabs:
  • Barracks (decks)
  • Collection (Your cards, upgrade)
  • Market (buy packs sell cards and trade stuff. Also potential future Auction House)
  • Tavern (PvP)
  • Battlefield (AI play: Arenas, Quests and any future AI)
  • Chat (because the sidechat won't always be there, right?)
Spoiler for Base Concept: