oEtG Forum

Strength Bolt | Strength Lance (posted in vanilla forum by eljoemo)

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/card-ideas-and-art/strength-bolt-strength-lance/

This card seems to have a lot of support in the smithy right now and its author (eljoemo) gave the okay to list it as a candidate for porting into oEtG.

NAME:
Strength Bolt
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
3 :life
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:

TEXT:
Give the target creature +1|+1 for every 5 life quanta in your possession.
NAME:
Strength Lance
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
2 :life
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:

TEXT:
Give the target creature +1|+1 for every 5 life quanta in your possession.

ART:
eljoemo
IDEA:
eljoemo
NOTES:
It's like the other bolts, but for life.

This card is either UP or OP, and I've tried to fix that but it's not exactly an easy thing to do. At low quanta, it's easily worse than blessing or SoW for a buff. But at high quanta, you can get up +15|+15 from one card. This is really a problem for me. Beside that, it just functions the same as the other bolts, except in increments of 5, not 10.

All questions and constructive criticism welcome.
SERIES:

timpa

• New to Elements
A non linear scale may be the best solution to avoid ressonator shennanigans while keeping this useful.
:chroma :gravity :time

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
If we can agree on a decent cap, you can just use catapult like scaling.

e.g: ( (# :life / 5) * cap ) / ( (# :life /5) + cap)

Catapult scaling guarantees that you can only reach the cap with inifinite quanta, and if # :life / 5 is equal to the cap it yields a value of cap / 2.
Due to round off, diminishing returns starts at around 1/8 of the cap.

serprex

• Global Moderator
At what quanta should this equal blessing? I imagine the cap should be around 8|8 (?), considering bolt OTK with momentum + pu + skyblitz

Spoiler for Hidden:
draft
024vj064sn065rp066qq0174a0677u017di017n90180b018pn
256 at cap8, 208 at cap6, 136 at cap3. Matter seems to become "how many necessary for 100 OTK". At cap8, 2 (1 only gets 96 damage). Also 2 at cap6. 3 at cap3 gets exactly 100
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:10:14 pm by serprex »

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
Blitz is a pretty decent hunk of quanta cost and +1 spell...

So right now,
1 Blitz,
1 Creature
1 momentum
1 PU
X bolts

Looks surprisingly akin to Limitless speed setup to me. Which, while potent, didn't seem to be blatantly OP in vanilla, so I suspect it will be balanced here too... (although innovate makes that analysis precarious... hmmmm)

At any rate, even with just 1 bolt requirement there, its a 5+ card combo. So I have no problem with that really.

As for blessing equivalence, it might be good to check resonator ramp up and go from there.
I guess a place to start would be to have this match up with blessing mid game (say about 12 to 16 plies).

So then there are a few things to consider:
1) what is a good approximation for the average amount of :life quanta to be expected by ply 12 to 16.
2) what is a likely upper limit to expect (to handle geores or other life-bolt rushes)
3) when would a deck running this as a side card hit the same quanta threshold

That should give enough info to start engineering the scaling.

timpa

• New to Elements
I think a good balance for power would be a 200 OTK taking 8 cards and a non absurd amount of quanta. This should allow us to find the cap (or what the cap can't exceed if we want OTK to be hard or impossible to pull out)
:chroma :gravity :time