oEtG Forum

Mulligan

serprex

• Global Moderator
So MtG recently changed their mulligan again

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Mulligan

See Vancouver Mulligan & London Mulligan

How are people liking Paris Mulligan?

Initially people warned that Paris mulligan would put the consistency of etg over the top. So far that hasn't appeared to be the case

sirteeth

Aren't you using paris mulligan already?
My initial thought was that I didnt like how the reduced starting hand size affects decks differently (for instance in an otk you more or less want to draw the whole deck, so starting with fewer cards goes much more against your wincon than it would for a good old rush). i still kinda think like that, although its not necessarily a problem (as otks appear to be very strong already and are also the one type of deck that can start off with an unwinnable hand); suggested alternative would be a free full mulligan with no going back.

I think its obvious that redrawing only the cards you dont like (hearthstone's/shadowverse's mulligan) helps a little too much with consistency (given etgs handsize and decklimits) and would probably be a bit annoying to program as well.

Only other type of mulligan I know would be the standard etgs automulligan.

Chapuz

I like the Paris mulligan, it's as simple as it can be for new players.
Vancouver mulligan isn't worth it in oetg in my opinion, as oetg is a lot less decission-depending than metg and scrying a card in most cases won't matter at all.
London mulligan can be fun if it's explained well enough, it's the one that offers the best consistency and that can help for having funnier matches.

serprex

• Global Moderator
Aren't you using paris mulligan already?

Indeed we do, & I make this post with no intent to change that. At this point I'd first add aggregating replays & would hold off until sufficient data could be analyzed

Interesting thoughts re otk vs rush. I'd think mulligan pretty much gets pulled out for 1 pend draws & that otks would be able to recover since they have draw power. If you're going to draw 20 cards in a few turns, what's wrong with having to draw another? Whereas rushes live & die on their opening hand, so being a card down is something they often don't pack draw power to compensate for. Decks like rolhope are where it's about having a few combo pieces & and an empty hand by turn 3 or 4

eaglgenes101

In the original etg, I was partial to a tunable automulligan where as part of deckbuilding, you indicate the number of zero cost cards you want in your initial hand, below which automulligan kicks in and causes a redraw.

Is such an idea still applicable to this game?

serprex

• Global Moderator
In the original etg, I was partial to a tunable automulligan where as part of deckbuilding, you indicate the number of zero cost cards you want in your initial hand, below which automulligan kicks in and causes a redraw.

Is such an idea still applicable to this game?

No, love Paris

A good mulligan system introduces important decision making straight away at evaluating a hand for the matchup it's in. Any automulligan will lose the nuance of knowing what you're up against. This is also why I think etg's missing out not having Bo3 where players don't change decks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:53:57 pm by serprex »