oEtG Forum

Design process

serprex

• Global Moderator
So Odin put together a polling mechanism, & I did find it useful for being able to review card ideas. Here's my experience

1) The cardpool to choose from diluted votes, so there were no clear winners
2) Votes go for what looks cool. There's no posts explaining why votes are made, so it makes it hard to know why a card is liked, & thus what about it should be preserved in implementation

When I'm adding cards, I think about the current card pool. I stare at this list. I go into sandbox & review the current theme. I weigh what defines the element, what the element currently is, what holes in the cardpool the element could fill (keeping in mind that there's an importance to negative space, ie, what the element is not)

When designing changes there's a goal. Hate on some cards, try synergize with some under utilized cards, offer tools to a struggling strategy

I'm staying vague because goals change over time. I'm trying to write up a timeless post. Also because I'd like to invite people to post about what the game needs, less in terms of specific cards

Things I've been thinking about are anti on-a-stick, anti the-deck, mill, expensive spells
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:16:36 pm by serprex »

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...

2) Votes go for what looks cool. There's no posts explaining why votes are made, so it makes it hard to know why a card is liked, & thus what about it should be preserved in implementation

^ Ya, I have been hoping forum machines would add some kind of matrix vote system, like the ones you always see in those "please rate on a scale of 1 to 5" kind of surveys.
Granted thats not a good as a well stated comment, but it could provide a lot more feed back.
Then there would be several polls so forum goes could rate different aspects of each card.

E.g. Balance, thematics, etc.

Until the tool becomes available though, simple polling is what we've got to work with :(

serprex

• Global Moderator
When I look back, it doesn't seem complete, thus it isn't quite what I'd say is what I wanted to say, so isn't what I want to be forever said