oEtG Forum

Equipping a weapon/shield returns any currently equipped back to your hand

Denver

Equipping a weapon/shield could return your currently equipped weapon/shield back to your hand, rather than simply destroying it. I feel like overall it wouldn't be too powerful, perhaps except some notable combinations, but I think it's a concept that's more fun than it is powerful if anything.

To keep a handful of weapons/shields and rotate them out if the situation with your opponent changes. Especially with all the cool new shields :)

Extra considerations: stackable shields would need special rules to prevent infinitely rotating to easily gain stacks out of nowhere in exchange for quanta. Altered states would have to be retained to prevent swapping out damaged or status'd weapons to easily heal them. And probably a lot more undesirable interactions that would have to be accounted for.

serprex

• Global Moderator
would have to be limited to shields without charges, since being able to put phase shields back in deck seems a bit much

would want to preserve current Give behavior

would make Reduce? a lot stronger

sometimes shields get played to clear up hand, would hurt rolhope

not really opposed to it, but seems pretty minor, would be annoying to preserve difference with Legacy code

Denver

Yeah those are the kinds of negative interactions I knew I wouldn't be able to foresee.

Charged and Stack shields would definitely have to be excluded. Reduce I can't think of a reasonable accommodation to prevent it being abused with shield swapping. Maybe it could be treated as a charge/stack shield? e.g. "On play, become a random number of stacks from 0-3, reduce damage by number of stacks". Then additionally wouldn't get returned to hand as stack shield are excluded from the return to hand rule. Although I'd imagine that'd come with it's own stack of problems, obvious one being 0 damage reduce would have to be 0 stacks...

Same with playing shields to clear hand up, would be a significant change for some decks. Perhaps caveat that playing the same shield/weapon as you have equipped neatly removes it from your hand as usual? But that feels like a major new mechanic/rule to the game in addition to weapon/shield return to hand mechanic.

Another troublesome interaction I thought of is Wicked Shield, would it preserve reduction in hand? If so, would it tick down in hand? Lots of unforeseen considerations for what I initially thought wouldn't have been too major of a change