oEtG Forum

Phalanx Shields

laxnut90

1 :earth |1 :chroma
Target shield becomes a X/X creature where X is its cost.  Shield effects still apply.

---

I'm thinking this would be a fun mechanic similar to the Flying Weapon.  Players would be able to summon and use multiple shields with effects that stack.

This could create interesting shield combinations such as Bone Wall and Thorn Carapace; Permafrost Shield and Mitosis; Phase Shield and Parallel Universe.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:43:47 am by laxnut90 »

dragtom

A thing to note with animating shields is that most upped shields are cheaper. Not necessarily a problem, but still important.

Mito'ing a weapon causes it to generate new *fresh copies* of a weapon - so in the weapon slot. It can be reasonably assumed that the same goes for a shield.

Also, having multiple shields can become very strong very quickly. Bone wall is indeed a big one to combine with damage reduction and/or a killing shield. But even simply stacking things like skull shield is very strong. It'd need testing, since as a creature it can still be cc'd, but I think this card is overpowered.

I'd definitely not give this ability to any element, keep it in earth.
Thinking about this card, I came up with something quite similar to it, namely turning any shield into a golem defender:

2 :earth | 2 :earth
Target shield becomes a 0|X creature, where X is 3 | 4 times its cost. It has Gravity Pull.

of course, it would keep the shield effects, but exclusively for itself.

serprex

• Global Moderator
Mito'ing a weapon causes it to generate new *fresh copies* of a weapon - so in the weapon slot. It can be reasonably assumed that the same goes for a shield.

Yes, this mechanic is in fact already possible with Golem Defender

I prefer shields having gpull & having their on-being-hit effects still proc when taking hits under gpull. But in that scenario they'll want quite a bit more health than their cost

But being able to mix shields is a neat mechanical concept. I'd instead go with some kind of enchant mechanic where you target a card in hand & it buffs the currently equipped shield
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 02:08:09 pm by serprex »