oEtG Forum

Recent Posts

Decks / Re: Demigod Prediction Decks
« Last post by Septima Rhay on May 01, 2024, 09:42:47 pm »
More reliable than original Shard Ready Purple nymphs.
Kichomo
065000f6ts036tt036u7036tv018pj
General Game Discussion / Re: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer v2.0
« Last post by Denver on May 01, 2024, 10:32:55 am »
(sorry if this question already been posted/answered before but forum search gives me database error)

Is there any known information on optimal pillar statistics? IIRC the original game it was about 12 pillars for a mono-deck, and 7/7 for a duo deck. Anything more then Quantum pillars were more optimal. But I'm not even sure if that's correct or even ever was.

And with the addition of Pendula, and 4-way pillars, are there any other optimal generic rules for things like tri-decks, tetra-decks (outside of Material/Cardinal/Spiritual), and more?
Yeah those are the kinds of negative interactions I knew I wouldn't be able to foresee.

Charged and Stack shields would definitely have to be excluded. Reduce I can't think of a reasonable accommodation to prevent it being abused with shield swapping. Maybe it could be treated as a charge/stack shield? e.g. "On play, become a random number of stacks from 0-3, reduce damage by number of stacks". Then additionally wouldn't get returned to hand as stack shield are excluded from the return to hand rule. Although I'd imagine that'd come with it's own stack of problems, obvious one being 0 damage reduce would have to be 0 stacks...

Same with playing shields to clear hand up, would be a significant change for some decks. Perhaps caveat that playing the same shield/weapon as you have equipped neatly removes it from your hand as usual? But that feels like a major new mechanic/rule to the game in addition to weapon/shield return to hand mechanic.

Another troublesome interaction I thought of is Wicked Shield, would it preserve reduction in hand? If so, would it tick down in hand? Lots of unforeseen considerations for what I initially thought wouldn't have been too major of a change
Light / Re: [Buff] Crusader
« Last post by Denver on April 29, 2024, 01:35:58 pm »
Thanks for the response

Yeah I agree Crusaders are a lot better than originally, it's just they feel a bit weird is all I'm saying. For instance, I feel like so many cards were given more freedom (not necessarily in a buff sort of way) in their targeting choices in ways that make sense. Endow definitely follows conventions in that it restricts targeting cards in hand, but given that it can only target weapons, which are perhaps one of the smallest subsets in the game, it feels incredibly restrictive to have a choice in hand that would have to delete your current weapon just to give to your creature. Of course it's with good reason if they would be too powerful otherwise though; my own knowledge of what is and what isn't is limited I think so I appreciate the insight

I think you bring up a good point with the duplication of buffs, which can be a powerful strategy. My ideas however were not to buff an already strong strategies, but merely open more options for alternative strategies that make multiple weapon choices more flexible and easier to use rather the better single weapon focus. But then of course creating flexibility usually makes the already strong choices even better in some ways
« Last post by serprex on April 29, 2024, 02:18:40 am »
saders are way stronger than in original

1. accelerated when endowing
2. cheaper
3. more weapons to choose from
4. being able to buff weapons means saders get to duplicate buffs, making tempervadersader quad a tier 1 deck vs arena
5. living weapon

Most likely direction I'd go is allowing endowing on morning star, doesn't impact existing decks while opening up a slow durability option, would have to make sure it isn't too strong with SoW

Not going to remove being able to target opponent's weapon. That takes away from design trying to create novel decision making scenarios rather than having cards force decks to play out in specific ways
would have to be limited to shields without charges, since being able to put phase shields back in deck seems a bit much

would want to preserve current Give behavior

would make Reduce? a lot stronger

sometimes shields get played to clear up hand, would hurt rolhope

not really opposed to it, but seems pretty minor, would be annoying to preserve difference with Legacy code
Game Suggestions / Re: New demigod decks
« Last post by Naii_the_Baf on April 28, 2024, 10:31:53 pm »
Vulcan
016rk016rl016rr016rt016qu016qv016uk0171a0174c0177f017b30b7f2067dv017dn057e1017gs017ke017n5017q8017tb0180e018pi

Would love to fit Blacksmith in here but couldn't get the quanta to work out.
« Last post by Denver on April 28, 2024, 12:49:45 am »
I like the idea of Crusaders, but they still feel a bit outdated. A lot of other old cards as well as newer cards seem to have great interactions and targeting options, but Crusaders still feel a tiny bit wonky. Some possible (individual) changes:

• :light [buff] Crusader Endow could allow targeting of your own immaterial weapons. They currently can't be endowed with Morning Star, the OG Light weapon!
  • :darkness [nerf] Crusader Endow could only allow targeting your own weapon rather than getting the opponent's for free, in exchange for having an additional buff. It seems a bit wonky to just be able to PU your opponent's weapon for very cheap (1 ply of summoning sickness + 2 Quanta).
  • :light [buff] Crusader Endow could target weapons in hand, but like Dispersion, requires the base cost of the target card to be paid too.
  • :gravity [change] Upped Crusader Endow could destroy the target weapon (as if physically being given it), in exchange for a substantial buff, such as additional minimum strength buff upon Endow, like the base +0|3 Health.
  • :light [buff] Crusader could also gain any passive effects of the targets shield, in addition to weapon effects. This would be more for flavor if anything, because most creatures are probably far less targeted compared to the amount of targets and attacks players receive. Therefore damage reduction and the like on a single creature wouldn't provide much mechanically. And probably require a lot of programming work. In addition to other considerations: should shield effect block instant kills (Devour) or reduce their damage to maxHP-damageReudction? An alternative would be to increase health by 2*Damage Reduction of the shield, or other similar formula. Perhaps too much time, thought, and work would have to go into this one.
  • :gravity [change] Crusader could enter the battle at a measly 1|X, but get instant Endow with 0 cost. (Your troops can't fight if you don't supply them with weapons!) However would definitely require target card cost to be paid and then destroyed to be balanced. However Crusader strategy would change drastically from "double up on your equipped weapon" -> "arm your soldiers to make them useful".

Some of these suggestions work better as a lone change, some might work better when combined.

I'll admit these suggestions are not coming from a mechanically sound place, but more of a "I just think Crusader is a funny li'l guy and I want to play fight with my own personal army of funny li'l guys" kind of place :3
Equipping a weapon/shield could return your currently equipped weapon/shield back to your hand, rather than simply destroying it. I feel like overall it wouldn't be too powerful, perhaps except some notable combinations, but I think it's a concept that's more fun than it is powerful if anything.

To keep a handful of weapons/shields and rotate them out if the situation with your opponent changes. Especially with all the cool new shields :)

Extra considerations: stackable shields would need special rules to prevent infinitely rotating to easily gain stacks out of nowhere in exchange for quanta. Altered states would have to be retained to prevent swapping out damaged or status'd weapons to easily heal them. And probably a lot more undesirable interactions that would have to be accounted for.
Events / Re: Team Card Design: New Weapons
« Last post by serprex on April 21, 2024, 09:08:46 pm »
Been a bit slow to start on putting these on test server

Went to try implement one a day & have it done in a week, but decided it's annoying enough figuring out the next code (tbf, I already have a script to grab this, but let's ignore that)

https://github.com/serprex/openEtG/commit/453cf30a968c64027a407b49dd1ed6b3184db1b7

So wrote this change to have cards be csv. Full circle from when card data was originally from a google spreadsheet. Switched to JSON since it was easier to process in browser (no need to parse csv in js compared to calling `JSON.parse`) but now card data is compiled to Rust during build phase so moved it back to csv which also allowed bringing openetg/legacy card data into same column ordering. Now I can easily add a couple lines to add a new card, but will have to get around to implementing card effects. Will probably start with some simple implementations that might not match text. Been a bit swamped lately & I had to swap out my keyboard since it was causing finger pain but now the old keyboard is on my linux box which I use for openetg development so that also makes me procrastinate more