oEtG Forum

Decomposition

Naii_the_Baf

Decomposition | Decomposition
Element: Death
Cost: 3 :death / 2 :death
Spell
Decrease target permanent stack by 1 per turn. Non-stacked permanents count as 1 stack. Cannot target pillars/pendulums.

Actual idea is to let it target non-stacks so permanents just get destroyed when their owner ends their turn, but I didn't know how to word it. This means they get to do whatever they do before getting destroyed (so weapons get to attack, pillars get to produce quanta etc.).

Thought death should have hard PC given that the spiritual quartet has none. Steal only transfers permanents, which also damages you some of the time (e.g. stealing a weapon or shield when you already have one).

Also wanted to call it erosion but that sounds more like an earth or air card.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:06:22 pm by Naii_the_Baf »

Chapuz

Decrease target permanent stack by 1 per turn. Non-stacked permanents count as 1 stack

asdw152

• PvP Organizer
  • Unstable Gas can't melt Steel Golems
honestly death needs some PC, compared to other options it's slower but more deadly, so i'm a bit iffy on the cost being 2 :death/1 :death. would heavily buff death based stalls a ton.

also, is there an interaction with playing more than one of a single stack? similar to poisoning a creature, would it stack and destroy 2 stacks per turn? or would it stay at destroy 1 stack per turn.
Guess I'm here now.

Naii_the_Baf

I'd rather have it not stack given how strong EQ and Trident are when used effectively, but then again you'd need multiple of these to get such an effect where EQ and Trident are a single card, so I wouldn't mind having it stack either. Besides, EQ's strength in terms of quanta denial is playing it early, and you won't have a lot of these early given that it's not a card one would have 6-of lest it's in a dedicated deck.

In retrospective it does seem a bit cheap, cost raised to 3 :death/2 :death
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 07:09:58 pm by Naii_the_Baf »

newZaranir

So, a few points:

Spiritual has 1 more permanent "removal", it's rejuv. It has a huge side effect though. Also you can remove weapons and shields with "Give", which bypasses immaterial as well.

Also, this is way stronger than Earthquake, because as currently intended, it's both a removal or just pillar destruction. However, as currently Regrade goes, you need to ask serprex if normal permanents actually counts as stack of 1 (I guess, no).

On the quanta denial alone, I'm not even sure if it's actually worse than EQ. Having something always take 1 stack of the pillars (essentially, per draw you do) means you are never able to get over an amount of quanta per turn, unless you hold the pillars till all of your pillars are gone. This can have great synergy with Pests, who only can sustain you down by a stable amount of quanta. Also, it's way cheaper to get more out of it, it's just slower.

For this reason, I think making it stack is actually less of an issue, as letting the stack go destroyed is the optimal counter, unless you can go over it. Also, I like stacking it, because Demigods draw by 2, so unless it can go up to 2, it's even less useful against them.

However, the major difference is that  it requires very little  :death and goes along with spiritual, where Sabbath is. Also, it's a PC along with that.

Naii_the_Baf

Might as well just prevent it targeting pillars/pendulums.

Give and Rejuv both have drawbacks. Rejuv doesn't remove DR or weapon attacks. Give just replaces something, it doesn't remove it. You'd have to intentionally pack weak shields/weapons if you plan on using Give as PC, otherwise the only thing you're doing is removing an ability and losing something yourself which may cost you the game. In terms of non-weapon/shield Give doesn't work and Rejuv just replaces the ability which is fine but still helps your opponent where you could also use it on yourself, so it's not entirely reliable as a card you'd keep in hand strictly as PC.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:10:38 pm by Naii_the_Baf »

serprex

• Global Moderator
I like spiritual lacking hard PC. Against hard PC in general, I sometimes regret Midas, but it adds more than it takes, & not wanting hard PC is why Golden Relic shield has 1 DR

If I was going to give Spiritual another form of PC it'd be something like Weeds as a Malignant Cell perm. Bonus points if the concept lends itself to a Give combo