oEtG Forum

Do we want events? If so, what type?

Septima Rhay

• PvP Organizer
Requesting thoughtful reflections on any type of event(s) you want to see moving forward.  No poll.  Think broad.  Articulate what you want and why, what you do not want and why.  No events or very few events are valid options.  If you don't participate in events and don't want events, I'd like to hear from you as well.

I'm learning through experience that my designs seem off from what others have wanted; they've been too restricted and thematic it seems. Recently heard the desire for less restricted and simpler events (i.e. League).  PVP activity has been quite slow in recent months.  Lots of newer players are discovering and rediscovering the game casually but are not interested in PVP events.  This all signals to me that more events need to be non-PVP, low competition, infrequent, or non existent. 

Event design and management is not my territory.  I offer to serve and put in effort.  I'm fine to chip in, collaborate, or step-aside.  If I do put in effort, I need to know that people want events and want them in a certain way, otherwise it's a waste for us all.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 07:18:39 pm by Septima Rhay »

Neopergoss

• Eat the rich
Thanks for all your pvp organizing efforts, Septima. I'm not sure what the answer is. I am one of those who likes the idea of league but I don't know what to do to get more participation.

I was just thinking that despite what everyone says about having few rules, participation was significantly higher when we did nkotb and ntos. Maybe we could have a third installment in that series, perhaps something with a rule like "only new cards allowed." Not sure if that would actually work out in terms of deckbuilding but it's a thought.
“The old world is dying, and the new world struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Septima Rhay

• PvP Organizer
Labyrinth will be the last event I manage. Neopergoss will take over the event staff role. It would be great to see what Neo and others do to take events forward.

It's definitely possible that I'll participate in future events, so I'll answer my own question regarding event types I'd like.

I prefer team events. Playing the AI gets old quick.  In a team setting, teammates can talk ideas, test, and experience results together.  We get to learn about each others' character more for better and worse.  Team OETG Olympics (i.e. teams are nations), 2-mass-team PVP events, Community decks vs. the Demigods deckbuilding challenge, etc.  -- stuff that gets players active, talking, and building together.

For individual events, I like thematic and conceptual ideas that restrict deckbuilding to some degree.  Open-meta stuff like league, unrestricted tourneys, etc., are less desirable.  For me, there's less of a sense of 'adventure' in broad, unrestricted meta.   

I like both competitive and non-competitive formats.  In general, variety of event types is something I find attractive.  I like events where there is ample activity.  That's the most important factor to me.  15 player events is probably more exciting than 5 player events.  Peak-Septima-Event-Meta is multiple teams in a questing event.

Thanks to all participants, serprex (admin), and sael (for terrific event banners) for supporting the events I ran. My main reason to step away as event staff is to reduce screen time and spend time outdoors and other projects. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:04:14 pm by Septima Rhay »

Manuel

Can we copy leagues from etg? In this way there will be more activity in the game chat and more posts. No need to schedule matches or give activity/free wins with half of the player that will disappear, anyone who wants to do a match can do it. Everyone can decide the rules, up/no ups/no op cards etc.

This is also increase people who will registrer to the forum (hopefully)

serprex

• Global Moderator
Good events from original:
https://elementscommunity.org/forum/12-lives
https://elementscommunity.org/forum/sideboard (mostly I'm curious if oetg's wider cardpool makes sideboard more interesting)

https://elementscommunity.org/forum/upcoming-pvp-events
Also a good resource for what ideas worked & what ideas didn't