oEtG Forum

High Cost Spells

Dawn to Dusk

• The Original Materialist
These arent only spells that drain quanta, but instead spells that cost >6. Most elements have them in some form however there are some that do not. any ideas for those that do not?

:time :life :earth :death

serprex

• Global Moderator
Ravi & Odin were thinking up a high impact :death spell: http://etg.dek.im/forum/index.php?topic=54

:death instant kill, tho that goes against death's themes of decay & the game's theme of no easy instant kill spell

:life or :earth cast target non spell card. It'd have to be balanced around dragons, somewhere around 7/6 or 6/5. With rico it'd be broken

:life all creatures gain 1|1

:time Both players draw until their hand is full

:life or :death target player's creatures are given 'on death, become a horned frog' (OR just turn them all into frogs instantly)

:time skip a turn, this can be balanced if it costs 50 or something crazy

:time deal spell damage per card in deck, discard entire deck
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 05:14:54 pm by serprex »

Shinki12345

Earth DOES have a high cost spell, stone skin. It may not cost as much, but its limited use in the same way expensive cards are(if not more).

For death, I suggest a mass "Kill everything" card that sacrifices HP in addition to costing a lot.

I think high cost spells goes against the theme of life, life has a lot of cheap but easily castable creatures and a versatile spell set, so I wouldn't add anything to that. Besides, not every element NEEDS to have something like that. Mitosis kind of does the same thing functionally as an expensive card.

With the resent RT nerf, I wouldn't be against adding a "Freezing rain" style card to time. Cost 11: All creatures and perms on your opponents field are delayed for 1 turn, drain extra time quanta.

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
Freezing rain has some stack issues to contend with, but the mass stun of enemy creatures is certainly an option.
In the case of a 1 turn delay, this is essentially a spell mimic of turtle shield.

The issue with stacks is that this thing bascially becomes another copy of the sabbath card... worse if the delay is longer than 1 turn.
That ends up being very potent as quanta denial so balance will be tricky.
The other problem is stacking shields... Though maybe a 1 turn shield KO isn't such a bad thing... keeps players on their toes for sure.