oEtG Forum

Inertia Interactions

BigDieck

I've been recommended to share interactions I learn on cards here. Here was my last post mostly on Artic Dolphins ability removal jank I messed with. https://etg.dek.im/forum/index.php?topic=1501.msg6809#msg6809

I did all my testing in custom games for ease. Many of these tests were with an AI using inertia, and I was testing what triggered it for them.

In general (but not always), inertia seems to be triggered by a card or creature's skill when it is able to single out a target (creatures, permanents, or hand), and chooses to do so. Aoe spells like dry spell and rain of fire, or cards like Chaos seed 2.0 which has the option to be aoe or single target and chooses to go aoe (targeting player) will not trigger Inertia.

Interesting cards I found that triggered Inertia:
  • Whim on your own cards in hand
  • Scattering winds on an individual card in hand
  • Stormshield's draw a copy of a card in hand
  • Catapult
  • Artic Dolphin on permanents (good amount of them still do their effect when frozen I believe. Inertia still triggers when frozen)
  • Equalize either on cards in hand or creatures played
  • Corpse explosion (Triggers once) and cremation
  • Siren Sing (does cause sing causes damage immediately, unlike beguile)
  • Frailty, Earthquake, and Trident triggers once per stack effect
  • Burn card targetting Hand
  • Deflagration (if targeting an inertia, the one destroyed will not trigger)
  • Nymph Tear/Queen
  • Dispersion (triggers on each individual cast on targets)
  • Give on cards you own triggers opponent's inertia
  • Steal targeting specifically stackable permanents such as pillars, pendulums, mist mantle, etc
Interesting things that don't trigger Inertia
  • Burn card targeting Deck
  • Beguile on a controlled creature does not trigger your inertia, even if it is targeted by anything else while beguiled to the other side. HOWEVER, beguiling creatures onto your side will trigger inertia, including beguiling the same creature twice. Similar to Give
  • Yoink and Clepsydra on hand or deck
  • Steal specifically on nonstackable permanents like inertia, weapons, most shields, and inertia itself avoids ALL inertia activations.
  • Chaos seed 2.0 targeting player as opposed to individual cards
  • Any effects that are on hit, such as with shields, graviton defender, etc
  • Brawl with creatures attacking each other
  • Minotaur deleting a card
  • Lode stone increasing skill costs
  • Flooding kill effect
  • Monk returning weapons to hand
  • Stormspike's draw
  • Mill pillar on Thunderbird
  • Tornado seems to not trigger inertias at all
  • MindGate copying cards

2 more interactions I found interesting: Null Mantis's Deny and Evade ability and Shard of Freedom's Evade ability will not trigger inertia when dodges are successful from spells like fire bolt or Red Nymph's rage potion which normally trigger Inertia.

Feel free to correct me or bring up other strange interactions.

Edit: Adding new interactions I find below.
  • Yoinking (Opponents hand, not deck) and stealing opponent's cards while I have inertia triggers it for me.
  • Quantum Locket whenever changing quanta type, since it targets a card you own will trigger inertia
  • Metamorphosis when targeting your own cards will trigger inertia
  • Inverse to stealing from opponents with inertia, stealing while having inertia triggers only on non-stackable permanents
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 04:02:12 am by BigDieck »

serprex

• Global Moderator
Inertia uses same hooks as rico, but acts a bit weirder since rico is global so doesn't care about owner of target

Before Dispersion these hooks could be described as happening when you click a red targeting square, with Dispersion it clicks those red squares for you

BGA_NICE99

Thanks for the thorough research. Very helpful.