oEtG Forum

Underrepresented Sub-Mechanics (Aquatic, Airborne, Nocturnal)

Dawn to Dusk

• The Original Materialist
Some more love for these cards would be great. Some examples

Pew Pew Water Thing
Deal 3 damage. If target is Aquatic, gain +3/+3 instead.

Moonlight (Light) with counterpart Sunshine (Fire) (Or dark/light whichever is better)
Moonlight:
Allied creatures gain +0/+1 and restore 1 health to player on hit. Nocturnal creatures gain +1 health on hit. Turn into Sunshine at end of turn.

Sunshine:
Allied creatures gain +1/+0. Nocturnal creatures lose 1 health on hit. Turn into Moonlight at end of turn.

Above effects are intended to be auras, and creatures will lose the buffs when the phase switches. Probably a unique card too

Skydive
Target airborne creatures evades all targeting for one turn and doesn't attack. Next turn deals double damage.

Simple things like these are just nifty to have, and extend the usability of some cards
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 04:27:08 am by Dawn_to_Dusk »

serprex

• Global Moderator
An abridged excerpt of Discord chat

Chapuz: sunshine and moonlight look weak. I mean, look at SoP. and the water one is a mix of Blessing and a weaker shockwave... we already have that effects. veredict: I don't think they are needed

Dawn to Dusk: Oh the suggestions weren't actually real, they're brainstorming ideas. I don't care whether those specific versions are needed, but it would be nice to flesh out a mechanic that seemed to have plans to do so

Chapuz: If the water one was any more powerful, then it would be OP (better than lightning and shockwave). and the Lights... Not many people like unstable stuff

Dawn to Dusk: Nahh unstable things are fun! And it's where a lot of creativity is born. The more options something has, the greater chance of it being broken, but also the greater chance that multiple decks can be built around it. Maybe I've been playing too much HS and TESL

serprex: moonlight/sunlight flip mechanics would make a neat set, if I were to add something that interacts with airborne I'd probably prefer something like aoe vs non airborne. CG & I would like to get back to timing new card releases, probably move low urgency balance changes to then too, anti has a goal to look into docker stuff for May, hopefully that makes it straightforward to setup a beta environment to work out patchsets. It's something to experiment with but cg & I are both a bit hesitant to get things to the point of making things too tribal centric since we don't like how tribal mechanics generally play out in deckbuilding choices

Dawn to Dusk: That makes sense to an extent, but allowing decks to be built off the mechanic would be nice. Due to the nature of EtG, a deck really only needs 3-4 different types of cards. So a single unique supporting card for the class would probably be the best place to start

cg: i like the day/night stuff a lot and would also like to see it expanded into a set of cards. i like the water one quite a bit too and the switching-based-on-tribal is a decent mechanic. i disagree with chapuz' assessments on it being underpowered. but i would want to move it out of water probably. because i think it's probably a bad idea to have flat attack buffs in-element with a dive effect. i am opposed to the air one just because airborne doesn't need any more buffs, particularly doubling ones. regarding tribals generally - i would very much like to have tribals mean a bit more than they do. but like serp said, we have to be very careful we don't end up just dictating deck builds with mechanics. i find it safer to do things like "tribal is immune to this effect". like serp's area attack that tribal is immune to. or flooding, or warden, etc. that makes it less of a build-around. though not saying everything has to be that way, some buffs are fine

Dawn to Dusk

• The Original Materialist
Adding a post here because a card idea came to mind

Blood Moon :darkness
All Nocturnal creatures gain "Heal owner per damage dealt" for 1 turn.

Not sure on cost, or anything else though.

Note that I agree that Tribals getting out of hand wouldn't be great, but I also want Tribals to mean more than they do
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:44:39 am by Dawn_to_Dusk »