oEtG Forum

Cup of Jamshid (or Scrying Pool)

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...

Cup of Jamshid / Scrying Orb
Cost: 3 :aether / 3 :aether
Stats (if creature or weapon): -NA-
Ability(ies):
  • unupgraded: " :water : Astral Vision - Discard target card from your hand and replace it with a spell card of the same element."
  • upgraded: " 1 : Astral Vision - Discard target card from your hand and replace it with a spell card of the same element."
thematic reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_of_Jamshid

The idea is to have a card that can provide additional spell cards (in this case converting unwanted cards into spell cards). Right now, there are plenty of ways to gain creatures and even permanents, but there is really no way to gain additional spell cards (outside of a lucky pull from SoSe or mindgate).
This could allow some interesting spell slinger based decks.

Aether seemed like a good place for this given the elements thematic connections to the mind, spells, etc and the water cost just seems to fit well. Entropy, darkness, light, and time may be other candidates.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:05:45 am by OdinVanguard »

serprex

• Global Moderator

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
Alchemist, Dream Catcher + Give + Burn Card

You would eventually run out of gives and burn cards I think...

Also, thats a very large combo.

Alchemist is nice, but alchemy is very limited, it would be nice to have an alternative... Note that this card doesn't give any card advantage like alchemist or SoSe, it just allows non-useful cards to get traded out. The player would still have to pack something to make more cards if they don't want to shred through their deck (fractal, mindgate, etc)

serprex

• Global Moderator
Catcher/Give/Burn has infinite give/burn

3 dream catchers, give give, burn give, now have 3 gives, give burn, burn burn, now have 3 burns
3 gives & 2 burn card for 3 gives & 3 burn cards. 4/4 with 4th DC

But yes, it's unwieldly
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:36:58 pm by serprex »

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
Ya, I kinda want something simpler to wield than the combo you show, but not as random as alchemist.
With this card, the spell card that is given back is randomly picked from the element of the discarded card, so there is still randomness, but at least you can control the element of the spell.

It doesn't have to be a permanent nor does it have to use aether or water, I just picked that because there was a cool theme that fit with it.

I think spell based decks could be a definite thing now, since we have enough counters finally (epoch, burn, yoink, silence, mirror shields etc.)