oEtG Forum

Event 3: Spitballing?

Shinki12345

So, what ideas do you all have for cards?

timpa

• New to Elements
I'll be on a conference until the 20th, so I have very little time unil then. Shoot ideas anyway.
:chroma :gravity :time

Shinki12345

Alright, here are a few concepts for cards:

Hellscape Butterfly: Creature

Spoiler for Hidden:
Concept art:
Spoiler for Hidden:

Cost: 6x :fire, 7x  :fire

Causes a 1-6 random effects to be inflicted on opponents monsters when entering play, may destroy/steal/quake permanents as well. Activating butterfly effect while this card is in play causes this cards effect to activate.

Power/Toughness: 2-2, 5-1

Combos:

Butterfly effect
unsummon
eternity
Rewind

Mitosis

(Alternative names: Brimmstone Butterfly, Fiery Omen(ghost like creature instead), Doom Tsuthsayer(Humanoid))

Reaper of Tomorrow: Creature
Spoiler for Hidden:
Concept art:
Spoiler for Hidden:

Cost: 8x  :death, 8x   :death

When this card enters the battlefield or is discarded, both players skip their next draw phase.

Power/Toughness: 5-1, 9-1

Combos:

unsummon
eternity
Rewind
Fractal

nightmare
Mitosis

Twisted Mural: Creature
Spoiler for Hidden:
Concept art:
Spoiler for Hidden:

Cost: 4x  :darkness, 3x  :darkness

When you draw this card or discard this card, reveal it and steal target permanent or card. When this card comes into play, take 5 damage and gain no life for the rest of the turn.

Power/Toughness: 4-2, 3-2

Combos:

eternity
Rewind
Fractal

reinforcements
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:52:16 pm by Shinki12345 »

timpa

• New to Elements
back

Have some comments:

Butterfly's effect feels weird outside :entropy and it would be better not to have synergies spell'd out in the card text imo (BE activating it). Feels a bit OP as it is a bit like upped panda with a clause that allowa you to use it again (the 1-6 targets factor helps balancing, the PC side doesn't). The cost is a little higher than panda though.

Reaper has more synergies still. Innovation, Hourglass, Burn Card, Clepsidra and Yoink for example. I feel like sanctuary effects should block it. I'd rework the name to fit the theme a bit. In terms of balance I'd probably reduce the attack a bit (4/1 - 7/1 maybe).

Mural's name invokes a permanent to me, might wanna change that. It looks like steal on steroids, since you don't have to pay for it (quanta or health) to get the effect on draw or on discard (you can even control the discard with innovation), so it is seriously OP. The drawback is easily avoidable too by not playing the card)

I'll think of some cards too.

timpa

• New to Elements
I suggest we send this as a submission. It is a rebalanced version of Reaper of Tomorrow with an old art I did for an old competition. The lower cost helps the use with spamming it (RT, fractal, unsmummon, etc.) and the stats are not so OP (as a hitter the unupped gets overshadowed by mummy because of cost and the upped is overshadowed by recluses, also by cost)

Synergies:
in-element: unsummon, eternity, Rewind, Fractal (spam the creature. fractal can also ease the discard), Innovation (discard at will), Hourglass (allows to bypass the drawback consistently even if you are spamming it with eternity for example)

off-element: Nightmare (force the opponent to either give up hand space or discard this), Mitosis (spam the creature), Burn Card (discard at will)

Shinki12345

I like it a lot, but the art is a little off imo. Are any of you guys good at making card art? Having a reaper with an hourglass is more what I would like to see. Just a nitpick though.

The card might be a little op, but its in death so that mitigates it quite a bit. You are required to play death to play it, and really invest in it due to the cost. Death by its nature is not a controlling style of gameplay, so the card definitely requires synergy with cards outside of its element.

Another thing thats nice is that this card fits in PERFECT with one of deaths themes that already exist. There is another card that already exists that has the same "Skip draw phase" and "Discard effect" themes, so creating this would make way for more cards similar to it for death, which would be neat imo.

The only real problem I see with this card is mitosis. Preventing all draws unless your opponent has CC is really OP for a simple 2 card combo. We should probably change it to "when this card enters the battlefield from your hand" instead of enters the battlefield.

timpa

• New to Elements
I could make art, but I'm short on time lately. This was something old I had already done.

we could change it to "when this card leaves your hand". This would add a nightmare + yoink and nightmare + clepsidra (lol) combo while preventing mitosis and PU to be issues.

Shinki12345

I could make art, but I'm short on time lately. This was something old I had already done.

we could change it to "when this card leaves your hand". This would add a nightmare + yoink and nightmare + clepsidra (lol) combo while preventing mitosis and PU to be issues.

I like this idea. Good suggestion for simplifying it timpa!

Shinki12345

I like this idea. Good suggestion for simplifying it timpa!

For the record, I don't dislike the artwork, I just imagined it slightly differently. But really, the art doesn't matter that much in the long run, its just for show.

When I think of this cards image, I imagined some kind of mixture between mummy and ghost of the past.

Chapuz

I really wanted to participate on this event, but until next Wendesdy I'm with lots of exams... sory fellas.

Shinki12345

I really wanted to participate on this event, but until next Wendesdy I'm with lots of exams... sory fellas.

Don't worry about it, a lot of people have had the same problem in the past, its just how it goes sometimes. Just try chiming in with something now and again so we know you are still onboard(even if your not on deck atm).

timpa

• New to Elements
NAME:
Reaper of  Tomorrow
ELEMENT:
Death
COST:
6 :death
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
5 | 2
TEXT:
Whenever this card leaves your hand, both players skip their next draw phase.  Also procs on the opponent turn.
NAME:
Reaper of  Tomorrow
ELEMENT:
Death
COST:
6 :death
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
7 | 2
TEXT:
Whenever this card leaves your hand, both players skip their next draw phase.  Also procs on the opponent turn.

ART:
timpa
IDEA:
Shinki
NOTES:
"leaves hand" means whenever the card is played, discarded or destroyed either by you or by the opponent. Any sanctuary in play negates the card effects entirely (this is to prevent an anti-synergy with using this and sanctuary effects, the added cost you get for the stats for an effect that won't proc is punishment enough)

Synergies:
in-element: unsummon, eternity, Rewind, Fractal (spam the creature. fractal can also ease the discard. Eternity/RT get more efficient at denying if you have draw power or they can be used against the opponents creatures to deny 2 draws and remove a creature from play for one turn), Innovation (discard at will), Hourglass (allows to bypass the drawback consistently even if you are spamming it with eternity for example)

off-element: Nightmare (force the opponent to either give up hand space or discard this), Burn Card (discard at will). Sillier combos that can be made together with nightmare are yoink and clepsidra
SERIES:
cardinal rules

CREATOR'S COMMENTS:

Quote from: Shinki
The card might be a little op, but its in death so that mitigates it quite a bit. You are required to play death to play it, and really invest in it due to the cost. Death by its nature is not a controlling style of gameplay, so the card definitely requires synergy with cards outside of its element.

Another thing thats nice is that this card fits in PERFECT with one of deaths themes that already exist. There is another card that already exists that has the same "Skip draw phase" and "Discard effect" themes, so creating this would make way for more cards similar to it for death, which would be neat imo.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:52:15 pm by timpa »

Shinki12345

Good job timpa, I like it! Thank you for cleaning it up and making it look shiny, you done good work.

Also, Chapuz, thank you for letting us know. I appreciate you spending time out of your busy schedule so we aren't left wondering.