oEtG Forum

This game needs a story

klostein

This game is awesome, complex, etc. All great. But the UI feels soooo old and boring and a little bit pointless. This game is pure strategy and nothing else. But it could be so much more.

In fact this game could be one of the best games there is. All it needs is a bit slicker user interface and a story.

Basically I think of a merger of a (cheapest rip off of a) turn based strategy game and this game.

The graphical requirements could be still very low. Think of Heroes of Might Magic 3 quality. This would be more than enough.

So basically e.g. you start with a hero and a town and some quest. And then you battle against other monsters, openents, cities. And around all that you spin a nice story, like you have to free the world of zombies, rescue a princess or what have you.

Also when you fullfill quests or progress otherwise you could extend the HP of your deck. Allow upgraded cards in there, increase the mark multiplier, etc etc. So it feels like you build something up.

Also I think of something nice that I have not seen realized before: more than 2 players in a fight:
E.g. you could fight against 2 monsters with their own Deck and HP at the same time. Or you could bring a companion/follower, (e.g. being controlled by AI or yourself, but you would not have control of what is in that deck) and this follower would also attack your opponent with you. Or 2vs2, where you can decide which opponent you want to damage.
This would give so much depth and fun!!!

PLEASE do something like this.
I hope it is not too much coding effort?
I assume some starter kits would be available?

PS: I would be willing to help with more ideas and story line, etc.

PPS: There is a game that used Heroes of Might and Magic:
Heroes of Might and Magic III: In the Wake of Gods
https://mightandmagic.fandom.com/wiki/Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_III:_In_the_Wake_of_Gods
Some developers must have taken the engine of HOMM3 and added their own content.
If that is possible, why can we not e.g. replace the HOMM3 battles with https://etg.dek.im/ duels? or have both?
What do you think? I think it would just be crazy addictive!!!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:01:24 pm by klostein »

Visero

• Find me on Discord!
The quests turn into little stories, but i +1 this, a story is always more exciting, and it would motivate players to play more often
The Light of my Fire guides the way...

Lost in Nowhere

• [Insert witty comment]
slicker user interface
This has been a wip issue for years, as far as I know
and a story
Could be cool, although I'd personally not be sure if it would overall contribute to the game positively.
more than 2 players in a fight
This is (semi-)functional in the Custom option. (It isn't used extensively/frequently, though, so there are probably a good handful of bugs.) Although, the amount of UI reworking to make being able to see all the relevant information at once/easily would likely be immense and (in my opinion) not really worth it (but I'm not serprex).

klostein

Thank you for your answer guys!!
I am not saying the current game needs to be changed in any form, but extended.
So you have a SANDBOX mode, which is basically what you have now and then a STORY/CAMPAIGN mode.

In the campaign mode you walk on a world map and fulfill quests, or build up your heroes or towns etc.
There are open source ready to use platforms like e.g. Battle for Wesnoth?

Once you enter a fight, the duel itself could be like it is now, so nothing would need to change.

But you also would have now character development, stats, a story, a motivation, a map based idea of your progress, a skills tree.

You could have cool stuff like:
When you are in a forest and you pay with a green mark and at least 10 green cards you get 20 hp extra. And on lava grounds the same with fire, etc etc.
In your City you could get defensive bonus, like extra hp and a free card when you start. e.g. a dragon, when you completely build up your city, etc. So basically when someone attacks your city and you duel with him/her, than a dragon is already played on your side, when you start the duel.
There are so many options to make this game more interesting and attractive, also for the casual player.

My point is:
Currently the fan base and user base is limited to a certain type of people.
The ones who just like strategy and don't care about the rest. And in this respect the game is already perfect.
BUT, the majority of the people is probably not that patient. And if these additions were made, or something similar, I guarantee you a 10x larger user and fan base!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 07:51:30 am by klostein »

ProBacon

• Best Bacon
Currently the fan base and user base is limited to a certain type of people.

To be fair, the current fanbase is mainly vets from the original Elements game. So the core set of people playing this already have their expectations about what they want from this game. Don't get me wrong, I'm down for some of your ideas here, just thought I'd drop this here for information sake.
:air War 11 - Team Air :air
:darkness War 13 - Team Darkness :darkness
:life War 14 - Team Life :life
Signature Deck

klostein

great , thanks.

I also liked the original elementsthegame. This etg/dek.im is much more advanced with respect to card and functionality. Which is great. But the looks were better in the original.

The question is a bit, what does the main developer want to do with this game?
Just keeping it like this is just fine.
And my ideas maybe require quite some coding work. Maybe the main developer does not want / cannot spend time to do these things?

But still would be nice :)

asdw152

• PvP Organizer
  • Unstable Gas can't melt Steel Golems
http://www.elementsthegame.com/trainer

Not sure if you've seen this before, but this may be what you're going for. an open world card fighter with various decks of all sorts. the further you go the larger and more challenging things become. maybe even including missions that lead you to different locations, fight certain enemies, and a spot that's like the opening to a dungeon or something.

or maybe your idea of a story mode is more of like the quest system, something linear and a defined start/stop.
Guess I'm here now.

klostein

Thanks for your suggestion! :)

I know http://www.elementsthegame.com/trainer.
Actually, it satisfies already quite some of my ideas and wishes and could be a very good point to start from. And it is visually pleasing.

But it is not an option in its current form.
You can cheat there and win every battle if you want to. Which makes it boring.
Also it is unstable, which is quiet annoying.

If http://www.elementsthegame.com/trainer would not allow to cheat, be stable and have the variety that https://etg.dek.im/ has. It would be already more one could wish for and I would even pay money for playing it, or bare with annoying advertisement. So this would definitively be a solution.

But ideally I would like to go a little bit further with literally having quests, etc, like described previously.