oEtG Forum

Nature guardian

gangialf

Nature guardian | Nature guardian
Cost: 3 :life | 2 :life
Creature stats: 3/4 | 3/4
Golem
Ability (passive): Whenever Nature guardian attacks, if there is a creature in the opposing slot that creature is silenced until the end of the next turn.

The silenced status for creatures is currently limited to the Silence card, which will generally be used on players, so it isn't actually seen much. I have tried to parallel what Epoch does and bring the status to a permanent effect with limiting conditions. The positioning of creatures on the field is another aspect that in my opinion should be relevant to more cards (I think only Brawl currently cares about that).
I put this in  :life since it's possibly the element with creatures focusing most on raw power over abilities, and this seems to fit the theme. Moreover,  :life doesn't have many ways to deal with opposing creatures and this could help cover this weakness without being a real CC.
Obvious synergies are mitosis and fractal, also interesting in a multicolour deck with lots of creatures and some self-sacrificing card like Cremation to be able to pick the exact spot you want this to appear in.
Cost and stats are arbitrary and open to discussion (but everything else is too :) ).

Naii_the_Baf

TIL creatures have cards of their own and can be silenced :silly:

How does silencing a creature work? Silence only prevents cards from being played, not much use on a card that's already been played.

EDIT: Naii needs to go back and read the original game's cards some more
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:26:11 am by Naii_the_Baf »

Lost in Nowhere

• [Insert witty comment]
Silence can be used to target creatures, which prevents them from using their ability for a turn (as I recall). Unfortunately for this effect, it's almost always better to just silence your opponent.

gangialf

Exactly my point, silencing creatures is an interesting mechanic but it's all but unknown.

To clarify, the effect of silencing creatures (from the Silence card) is:
Silenced creatures cannot use active abilities until the end of their next turn

sael

I see. So the target is selected at random from opponent creatures? Or from left to right, or picked by player? Maybe from lower attack to higher?
Either way, leaving balance out of the discussion, it is an interesting use of the silenced condition. And yeah, life is the right element. It reminds me of naturalize and that style of cards from mtg green.
Good idea

edit: oh, so the opposite slot!!! that is actually, clever. The problem I would find with it is that if there is no creature in the opposite slot, you would even hesitate to play it.  You could add a condition like "the opponent creature closest to this one" so it always targets something
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:06:29 pm by sael »
carpinchonegro