oEtG Forum

Separate icon for ranged attackers

Niharia

• Arachnophile-in-residence
Since I've been using jetstream, I've noticed how the ranged and airborne tags use the same symbol to designate their attack type. This isn't always convenient, as if you miscalculate by one how many jet streams it takes to knock something off, you can really end up shooting yourself in the face.

Perhaps a little bow-and-arrow would be a better ranged symbol? I doodled something, though I'm not quite sure it's in matching style with the existing icons.

Why green? A, because it's distinct from all the other icon colours, and B, because elf was the ranged card I was wanting to jetstream to death most recently. If something else is better, recolouring is easy.

serprex

• Global Moderator
Finally, I've been wanting someone to do this for years. Finally made distinction important enough to get it to happen

Added. Shifted it to gray/brown. Should probably be more opaque. Icons are 13x13, not 26x26, so scaling down was a bit painful. If you decide to do a 2nd iteration for 13x13 it's straight forward to substitute in
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 07:44:45 pm by serprex »

timpa

• New to Elements
You might want to give it a better contrast

Also, if you have an airborne ranged the icons should stack, right?
:chroma :gravity :time

Niharia

Oops. I tried to pull one of the existing icons out using a screenshot and got 26x26, so that's what I copied. If you had just said that it should be 13x13, I could have redrawn it in like, five minutes.

I'm not 100% liking the dark grey either. It blends into the background really easily, I can hardly see it on my fallen elves. Perhaps aim for a lighter (think chroma card) colour? But then, it might be hard to see an a flown bow. Hmm...

Here's a scaled-down version. It's a lighter shade of green because I missed the comment about recolouring at first and thought my green turned into that invisibleness by itself.

serprex

• Global Moderator
If something is both airborne & ranged I'm only rendering airborne so that they can occupy same horizontal space

For reference of other icons on a black background, see https://etg.dek.im/mosaic.htm
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 01:49:35 am by serprex »

Niharia

The lighter icon is much more visible. Thanks, serpex!