oEtG Forum

A New Beginning - Signups

asdw152 · 15 · 1734

asdw152

• PvP Organizer
  • Unstable Gas can't melt Steel Golems
A New Beginning - Individual PVP Event
Signups

A stream becomes a cascading waterfall.  A devonian dragon grows into a Silurian dragon.  The source of ouija was its essence.  And Supernova wasn’t so super right away.  Start your origin story now.  Join other OETG players in a new players only tournament.

Welcome to what may be your first openElements PvP event. This event is meant to introduce new players to this game’s organized PvP environment. New players in this case refer to any players who have never participated in any openElements event prior to this one. Should space allow it, we can open up participation to those who have participated in 1 other event prior.

Everyone who signs up will also receive 5000 Gold to help them with farming and preparations. It is recommended that players prepare at least a full collection of unupgraded cards.

Rules
1.   Event will be 2 weeks long. Players will face all other opponents, playing 5 games each.
2.   This is an unupgraded event. All decks can only run unupgraded cards.
3.   Players will have access to all of their cards at all times, except for Nymphs, Shards, and Regrade.
4.   Each round will come with a set of deck building restrictions.
           a.   This restriction will only occur in Game 1.
           b.   You are encouraged to follow these restrictions for more points, but you will not be penalized for not fulfilling the restriction.

Winning a game gives that player 1 point. Building and playing a game with a restriction gives 1 point. At the end of the event, rewards will be distributed based on the player’s final standing. In the case of a tie, both players will face each other again for another 5 games, no points gained from restrictions.

Examples of Deck Building Restrictions can include:

1.     Restrictions on the number of different Elements included in a deck.
2.     Deck Sizes minimums
3.     Inclusions or exclusion of particular card types (Creature, Permanent, Spell)

Rewards
Spoiler for Hidden:
1st Place: 20000 Gold + Shiny Nymph Code + Mark Code
2nd Place: 15000 Gold + Shiny Nymph Code
3rd Place: 10000 Gold + Shiny rare Code
Participant: 7500 Gold
General Info on PvP
Spoiler for Hidden:
PvP Integrity
1. Strive for good sportsmanship at all times

2. Many issues can be resolved and discussed before "accepting turn".  For example, if you speedbuilt a deck and didn't change the mark code, ask your opponent if you can fix the deck mark and replay before you accept your turn.  If you continue on with the game, it is up to the other player to decide if they will replay or not.  Do not pressure them into a replay.  It is you who made a careless mistake and also didn't notice the error until too late.  Additionally, if your opponent notices an issue before 'accepting turn', it is most sportsmanlike to allow them to fix the issue and replay.

3. Players may copy the 'replay' code of a game for 'viewing' later on in openEtG's custom section.  To maintain PvP integrity, please use the replay only as a reference for game issues (i.e. one player disconnected) and to analyze your own game later.  Players should strive to do their own work. Their decks should be self-built.  Players are welcome to gain insight from the community (forums, discussions, asking questions, etc.) but should refrain from simply copying another player's deckcode mid-match.  If you like your opponent's strategy G1, for example, you are welcome to speedbuild a deck like that for G2.  Make sure it is your own work though.

PvP Issues 
1. Stuck Screens: Sometimes players enter a pvp duel and cannot accept their turn.  It looks like one is "stuck" on that screen with the only option to press the resign button.  One fix to get 'unstuck' is to to use the L keyboard shortcut to reload game state. Communicate with your opponent to see if they're 'in' and 'connected' to you.  To help avoid this issue, before starting any PvP match, both players can relog and test dummy decks to ensure they can connect.

2. Deck not loaded properly: Another common problem is a player will enter a pvp duel and they notice their newly chosen deck is not loaded and instead their last played deck is loaded and active.  In these cases, let your opponent know and ask if it is okay for a replay before accepting your turn and playing any cards.  This issue happens when your opponent sends you a duel invite, and you accept while you are still in the deck editing screen.  Technically, you need to exit the deck editing screen and then accept the invite.

3. Lost connection/power: There are times where players lose internet connection to the game, lose power, etc.  Players should take a screen shot and save the game replay.  Both players then should discuss if they should replay or if it was very clear one player was going to win.  When they are unable to decide, they may ask for a non-participating tournament host or non-playing arbiter to help decide. If both players feel comfortable with a replay, proceed.

4. Weird things happening on the screen:  Take a screenshot when you see something odd happen.  There can be some game bugs.  Let the event host know about the issue.  If it appears you can play the game through to the end, please do so and save a replay.  If you believe the issue could have affected the match result, let both your opponent and the event host know. 
Submitting Decks, Illegal Decks, Match Issues
Spoiler for Hidden:
Saving and submitting decks after a match
After each game, save a record of the deck you played vs. your opponent.  Even better, also copy the 'replay code' of the game and store it for later recall; the replay code captures both players' decks and the match can be viewed later.  Both players must submit either (a) the exact deck code they played - and label which game it was used (i.e. G3 and G6) - or (b) submit the replay code (copy/paste)

Posting decks after the event
After the event is completed in full, you may post deckcodes and match summaries to your match results post or a single new post with decks for all matches.  Players may not post decks played before the event is over.  Some of the event fortunes deal with seeing opponents' prior played decks as a fortune benefit. The event hosts can also post your deck codes if you do not post.

Illegal Decks
The only illegal decks for this event are those that don't follow upgrades structure/rules.  The default ruling is that a deck with incorrect upgrades is illegal, resulting in a game loss for the player with the illegal deck.  If both players agree to keep the result due to a spirit of sportsmanship because the difference to result was considered minimal, that is allowed.  But neither player should be pressured to do so even if the common perception is that there would be minimal impact.  Players can reduce chances of error by asking event hosts for 'deck checks' at any phase/time prior to playing matches.

Time between games; interrupted play; inactivity

1. The default time limit in between games is 5 minutes unless otherwise agreed upon by both players.  If Player A notices Player B is repeatedly taking longer than 5 minutes, Player A should remind Player B of the time limit and ask if there's a particular reason they need more time.  Some in between 'thinking' and 'adjustment' is absolutely fine.  Spending 15 minutes mid-match to design a new deck is excessive.  Study and prepare in advance, not during the exam!

2.  Interrupted play -  If you need to suddenly leave due mid-match to real life circumstances, please communicate this clearly to your opponent; make every effort to reschedule again and finish the match.  If you are not able to connect again before the match deadline, your remaining games to be played will be forfeited; your opponent claims the wins that were not played due to your leaving the match mid-way.

3.  Inactivity -  Obviously, dropping out of an event after it has started is not ideal.  It affects your opponents and the event overall.  The participant pool allows for even matches per player per round. Dropping out will disrupt that consistency.  Still, it can be hard to avoid real life issues.  Do your best to communicate your upcoming withdrawal as soon as you can with the event host and any players you have outstanding matches with.  If there is a reasonable chance for you to complete your matches, even if it means poor preparation and performance on your end, please do so.  Avoiding playing simply to avoid losing results is poor sportsmanship.

4. When a player does drop out or is withdrawn mid-event, both completed match results and unplayed matches are voided for the player dropping out.  A substitute will be sought to fill in for the dropped player in future rounds.

5.  Matches not played - if two players are unable to complete a match, the tourney host will ask for evidence of communication/availability.  If one player was clearly more active in this sense, they would earn points as follows. TBD
Guess I'm here now.

helicopter-cube

I'd like to sign up (my username ingame is "darksminky"; would change it to this if I could)

serprex

• Global Moderator
I'd like to sign up (my username ingame is "darksminky"; would change it to this if I could)
I can make that happen, you want your ign to be helicopter-cube?

TheRealArgo

I'm in, since this is my first actual tournament. User is ArgoGm

Test07

Question about the rules: What does "Only for game 1" mean? Do we not have to play with the same deck the entire "round" or is it written like that to clarify it's not a bonus point every round played?

asdw152

• PvP Organizer
  • Unstable Gas can't melt Steel Golems
Question about the rules: What does "Only for game 1" mean? Do we not have to play with the same deck the entire "round" or is it written like that to clarify it's not a bonus point every round played?

I'll just be clear with the terminology I use for events.
  -Round is the highest level where new matchups and rules may be introduced.
  -Match is the next highest where you face your opponent. In 12 Lives, each round had 1 match, since you were assigned 1 opponent. In Fortune Teller, each round you faced all other opponents, meaning with 5 participants, each round had 4 matches.
  -Game is the lowest level, referring to each individual fight you had with your opponent.

For this event, it will be Round Robin, and specifics may change depending on event turnout. Assuming a RR event with 3 participants, you would be facing 2 opponents, meaning 2 matches in the round, and each match is 5 games each.

4.a.   This restriction will only occur in Game 1.
     This means that only the first deck you use against your opponent is eligible for the restriction and can receive bonus points. This does not mean you cannot build the rest of your decks with restrictions. Just that only the first game of each match can receive points.
Guess I'm here now.

Turlututu

Unlike other card games, in EtG you do not have to play a single deck throughout an entire tournament. You can play (up to) as many decks as you will be playing games.

Typically players will bring as many decks as there are games per matches (so in this case 5), and maybe make adjustments between matches.

helicopter-cube

I can make that happen, you want your ign to be helicopter-cube?
Yes, would appreciate that greatly