oEtG Forum

Team Quest Design: Design a New Quest

Septima Rhay

• PvP Organizer
Team Quest Design: Design a New Quest
Community members join hands and talents to create a new openEtG quest. 

You may sign-up by Dec. 31 for one or multiple of the following roles:

Producers
Artists
Writers
Deckbuilders

Spoiler for more about roles:
The roles are not strictly enforced.  They are suggested starting points.  The team as a whole may work fluidly to design the quest. Team size is flexible but we recommend 4-8.  Not every role needs to be filled (art, in particular, is not as essential but could enhance the project)

Producers coordinate the quest design team and organize communication tools (i.e. discord, pads, gdocs).  They facilitate idea brainstorming and discourse.  They’ll determine the scope of the quest (i.e. how long, how many decks) based on team resources. They ensure the ‘parts’ being done by others integrate smoothly into an enjoyable quest experience. 

Artists do what you expect them to do.  They may consider a range of media/styles.  For example, artists may decide on a comic-strip style art vs. canvas style art.  Artists should discuss roles, styles, whether to proceed with a unified visual style/media or to artfully blend a range of styles/media.

Writers do what you expect them to do.  They may consider a range of approaches: prose, poetry, riddles, and so forth may be considered.  Writers should discuss how to share work and discourse towards a final ‘script’.

Deckbuilders do what you expect them to do. They build decks that players face during the quest experience.  Decks should be functional and thematically linked to story and art.  Deckbuilders should consider player level - including the type of decks players would play early on-  and the ‘power’ of the AI-driven deck.  Deckbuilders may use ‘custom’ gameplay and the AI Simulator to test ideas.

The design team as a whole may interpret the quest theme as they like.  This is first and foremost a creative and collaborative event.  It is not necessarily something that will be implemented into the game.  Producers may communicate with event hosts and developers on the potential for adding the quest to the game; in doing so, clearer technical guidelines (i.e. image sizing) may be available.
Quest design guidelines:

-Review the design of other in-game quests
-Your quest may have up to 12 ‘stages’.  Meaning the quest player will experience up to 12 battles.
-Compared to normal deckbuilding (100 hp, 1 mark, 1 draw, 30-60 dec size), AI decks may have adjusted stats as follows (0-1000+ hp, up to 99 mark power, 2 draw, deck sizes from 1-120)
-While you may use non-normal deckbuilding stats, give great consideration to the reasoning, balance, and impact of these decisions; the quest experience should be challenging yet enjoyable and achievable

Signed-up:
1. Pimpollo (writer)
2. Septima Rhay (deckbuilder; producer)
3. Sael (artist

Participation reward: 20k gold and a shiny nymph
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 03:36:36 am by Septima Rhay »

pimpollo

Septima Rhay

• PvP Organizer
I'll chip in somewhere. 

Edit: Pimpollo and I are getting a start; we welcome new contributors.  I'll likely help produce and deckbuild.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 04:59:09 pm by Septima Rhay »

sael