oEtG Forum

Firebrand OP

serprex

• Global Moderator
037dg037f2067dh067ds067e5067e6018po
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 12:00:37 am by serprex »

OdinVanguard

• ... Oxidants happen...
are you sure this is showing firebrand as OP and not fire creatures in general?

serprex

• Global Moderator
One of the arguments that Firebrand should not be compared to other weapons for its cost effectiveness was that it resided in Fire. Upgraded firebrand also pulls a lot of weight in this deck, making it clear that the main consideration is unupped. It's also a basis for arguing that the tempering/firebrand buff suggestion was correct, as one has to drop these "OP fire creatures" for tempering & sobr to come up with anything consistent
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 01:36:01 pm by serprex »

Zaranir

Tested the deck a bit (vs Champs) and the conception does not seems to be overpowered. A fast rush, what deals a very good damage and then, like the Firebrand, it's just burns out. If nothing goes in the way it's enough for win, but a minimal field control can make you lose.  It's a good deck and shows the potential of the Firebrand, but none of it can be considered OP.

It can be compared to other weapons (once I did it against Fehrenheit), but I'd prefer to compare it with UG. Mostly, because it's a turn limited card, so fits better in (physical) direct damage part than weapon. But disposable cards are harder to analyze, because they are very different in short, medium and long term and we don't have many (and they can't comparable with each other, like Dim. shield, Sundial or Cloak).

It does much more damage than UG (but not 25/2 turn, so against 100 HP, you still will need 5-5), but the amount of quanta difference mostly does not count due that you can't make Firebrand stack faster even with a bunch of quanta, so you are limited by your weapon slot. But UG needs a duo. In short term (2 turns), it wins against UG.

In medium (3-4), UG can be much more effective. Now you can start stacking up 1 UG per turn and using the other. 2-3 UG can be effective with 40-60 damage (with good draw, ~20/turn) and a side mass CC effect, while brands (even if you have 4-5 in hand) seems to be restricted 12/turn. Of course UG needs a lot of quanta for that, so if you don't have enough, you can't deal enough.

In long term, brand (on it's own) need ~8 turn to kill, UG, depending on the quanta fuel, 5-7, with very good mass CC.

Of course, there's a lot of factor, what I have not counted with, so I don't want to go too far, but:

-Firebrand is restricted to 12/turn damage in upped (like, it's a weapon), but lets the player a ton of quanta to use and makes slight card disadvantage (this was mostly compensated in the deck, but makes it unworthy to combine with FW). This restriction in my opinion, enough to not try to check cost efficiency that harsh. Very bad against stacking shield, and works less effective against DR shields. Better against PC tho, worst against healing (UG can OTK).

- Only checked with UG, but UG is a token-like card, so a Blue Nymph tactic with a good quanta fuel can deal with even 200 HP, Firebrand tactic (even if it had something to generate) is not really able to deal with 150-200 HP opponents.

-Brand mostly a good side-damage card. A very good side-damage to help a rush, but I can't really consider it OP, because you can't build a deck on it, can't really find synergies to it's potential.